FEBRUARY

Well, February got off to a good start. I thought the bedroom seemed unusually bright Friday morning when I first opened my eyes, and as soon as I pulled the curtains back the cause was immediately obvious. Two or three inches of snow now covered everything, very pretty from behind glass but not so great if you’ve already got your day planned. Up until that moment, the bee-shed at the Station site had occupied most of my thoughts but it was obvious that once again that was going to be resigned to the back burner. With the weather calling all the shots, I was beginning to convince myself that the whole project was somehow fated, but no, four days later, with the snow now nothing but a distant memory, I made my way to the Station. By the end of the day I had the shell up and by the end of the following day, the walls were in place.

shed finished 005

WALLS ALL BUT FINISHED, JUST THE ROOF AND DOORS TO GO

At last, I can remember thinking as I drove away, just the doors and roof to go. The next couple of days saw the sun shining out of a cloudless sky with temperatures reaching record levels in some parts of the country, but more importantly, by the end of which, the shed was standing in all it’s glory, finished. Just the flooring remaining to be installed.

shed roof completed 001

ROOF AND DOORS INSTALLED, JUST THE FLOOR REMAINING.

Meanwhile, the bees were making the most of the sunshine, issuing in vast numbers from all four hives and returning with copious amounts of pollen, always a welcome sight.

shed finished 001

shed finished 002

BEES ENJOYING THE WARM SUNSHINE, ALWAYS A WELCOME SIGHT.

In stark contrast to the beginning of the month, this last week has seen the warmest February day since records began and I have to say, it’s been a real treat to be able to work in a tee shirt rather than wrapped up in body warmers and the like. The floor is now in and I have to say, it really does look the part. I have installed a damp-proof membrane between the floor panels and the joists in exactly the same way that I did at the meadow and if this one works as well I shall be well pleased. As I said before, there wasn’t a hint of damp in the old floor when the shed was dismantled. With the racking installed, all that remains is to get all the kit back in the shed. It never ceases to amaze me just how much equipment one manages to acquire over time and I have to say, seeing it all spread over my friend’s garage floor, it doesn’t appear possible that it’s all going to fit back in the shed but, as that’s where it all came from, I guess it must.

 

Leave a Reply